Sunday, August 28, 2011

Building Your Own Game Engine - Why Code Physics

The next two articles will cover two very close subjects, physics and collision detection. I will do so by going through the relevant pieces of The Jelly Reef's engine. But before I jump into that, I will first put a word or two on why (or why not) to develop your own physics system.
Writing physics for your game is difficult and time consuming task. Collision detection is a subject that alone might consume months of work. There are some superb solutions out there, like Box2D, that work right out of the...well box. Free and open source, this engine drives immensely big chunk of the indie hits in the last few years. Angry Birds is not all that different from the samples that come with the engine.
But sometimes you just need to jump over the hoops yourself, and we did. The decision to code our own physics came was based on few facts we knew at the time:
  • Water, being the main element of gameplay is not part of any existing engine.
  • A full physics engine would be an overkill for this game and potentially difficult to control and tweak.
  • The gameplay would be tightly integrated with the physics and the collisions.
  • Most of the popular and well documented engines are writen in C++ and our game is in C#.
  • A lot of time still needs to go into integrating the engine into the game.
  • There is in fact quite a bit of text on how to do things yourself. I recommend Game Physics Engine Development, Game Physics and Real-Time Collision Detection.
  • I have had some bad experience with closed source engines and the next paragraph goes over it.
I was working at ZootFly on a vehicle system for quite a bit. The ZEN game engine used in ZootFly employed NVidia Physx, so naturally I built on top of that. I was in awe by how simple it was to get some things running with Physx. In the next few months the more I worked with Physx the more I got to know it, and my respect for its developers grew even further. And then I had to do some stuff that the engine was clearly not made for (obvious when you look at the samples) and suddenly I was in a world of pain. Tweaking parameters didn't get me anywhere fast and as we had binary-only license there was not much else I could do. Eventually the problems were worked around, but the team made a decision to switch to Bullet for their next project. It's open source and Erwin Coumans seems to be doing an awesome job of running it.
So ultimately it's up to developers the make the decision when they know what they are making. For those that decide to go for coding their own physics and haven't done that before the next two articles should provide some insight.

No comments:

Post a Comment